Monitoring reasons for encounter via an electronic patient record system: The case of a rural practice initiative

Academic Article


  • The objective of this brief communication was to tabulate common reasons for encounter in a Greek rural general practice, as result of a recently adopted electronic patient record (EPR) application. Twenty encounter reasons accounted for 3,797 visits (61% of all patient en-counters), whereas 565 other reasons accounted for the remaining 2,429 visits (39%). Number one reason for encounter was health maintenance or disease prevention seeking services, including screening examinations for malignancies, immunization and provision of medical opinion reports. Hypertension, lipid disorder and ischemic heart disease without angina were among the most common reasons for seeking care. A strengths/weaknesses/opportunities/threats (SWOT) analysis on the key role of an EPR system in collecting data from rural and remote primary health care settings is also presented. © Ivyspring International Publisher.
  • Digital Object Identifier (doi)

    Author List

  • Klinis S; Markaki A; Kounalakis D; Symvoulakis EK
  • Start Page

  • 704
  • End Page

  • 707
  • Volume

  • 9
  • Issue

  • 8