Reconstruction of the abdominal wall for incisional hernia repair

Academic Article


  • Background: Abdominal wall reconstruction with mobilization of autologous tissue has evolved as a reliable option for patients with incisional hernias. Methods: With the aim of evaluating morbidity and recurrence rates in patients who underwent abdominal wall reconstruction for incisional hernia repair, we retrospectively reviewed the charts of 188 patients treated between 1996 and 2003. Results: Primary approximation of the fascial defect was achieved in 77% and was reinforced by either mesh placement or rectus muscle advancement. The remaining 23% were reconstructed either by mesh placement, components separation, or distant flap mobilization. Median follow-up was 15 months. Overall morbidity rate was 38%; recurrence rate was 13%. Dimensions of the hernia and intraoperative enterotomies were associated with postoperative complications. Lack of complete restoration of the myofascial abdominal wall continuity was associated with recurrence. Conclusions: In patients with incisional hernias, techniques involving autologous tissue mobilization are safe and associated with low recurrence rates. © 2006 Excerpta Medica Inc. All rights reserved.
  • Digital Object Identifier (doi)

    Author List

  • Espinosa-De-Los-Monteros A; De La Torre JI; Ahumada LA; Person DW; Rosenberg LZ; Vásconez LO
  • Start Page

  • 173
  • End Page

  • 177
  • Volume

  • 191
  • Issue

  • 2